Sunday 15 January 2017

Blog Post 1

BLOG POST 2 


Hi, today I am going to blog about my strengths and weakness when communicating with others. I have recognized one of my greatest strengths in communication is my large Open Area, based on the Johari Window. I am approachable, friendly and this allows me to bond with my group mates easily. My group mates, in turn, decided to have an open and honest communication where everyone is aware that the comments and feedback are subjective. 
As time passes, I find that we are more productive, cooperative and efficient. While I might be blind to my own strengths and weaknesses. But as a group, we managed to utilize the strengths of each individual to support those weaknesses. Done well, the process of giving and taking, sharing, and open communication builds trust within the group.

Challenges I faced when communicating with others is when I get intimidated by the physical size of people bigger than me. For the physical factors, I find it hard not to be intimidated by the size of the person I am currently talking to due to my childhood trauma of being pick on by my larger sized classmates. Since then, whenever I happened to meet a person that is bigger sized than me I will always be on my guard by making myself unapproachable through not making eye contact when talking and reducing the size of my Open Area by being difficult to talk to and closed off. This way I may be seen as uncommunicative and untrustworthy and hopefully, they will not continue talking to me. 


I have also received feedback about that I lacked self-awareness. The example given was due to my slow eating speed, most of my mates have already finished their food and were waiting for me. But I was oblivious to it as I was using my phone. Another good example that was given to me was that I always make bad jokes even during a serious situation. Therefore, for the two objectives that I need to set for myself will be to improve my self-awareness and kick the bad habit of closing myself off to people bigger than me. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Weiquan! Your post really describes a lot about you, and it's good that you are conscious of your own surroundings. In order to open up to the people around you more, you need to be able to understand their intentions first and know them better so that you can take the right approach to forge a better friendship. Traumas can be healed voer time, but only if you want to, by letting people know about your situation so they can better react to you instead.

    As for your self-awareness, sometimes you need to be more conscious of how people are reacting and understanding the situation before you make a mistake. You could try to understand their advice or why they are giving you this advice so you could change or adapt to it and make yourself a better person as well.

    -Ernest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wei Quan,
    I feel that your post describe you except the fact that you get intimidated by a person who is bigger than you. Which is something new from you that I wasn’t aware of. However I feel that the opposite, I think there are caring instead of scary. It is great that others make known of your bad habits which is something that you could improve on. My advise to you is to focus on your meal first before checking on your phone or talk to someone else.

    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
    teckcheng

    ReplyDelete